Ben Lapidus — Director of Acquisitions for Spartan Investment Group, brings his skills in asset management and financial analysis to launch and grow Spartan’s portfolio business line. With over 2 dozen successful deals under his belt prior to Spartan, Ben is also the founder and host of the national Best Ever Real Estate Investing Conference and managing partner of Indigo Ownerships LLC.
Before Spartan, Ben started a multi-million dollar study abroad company and worked with several start-ups through IPO or acquisition. He graduated Rutgers University with dual degrees in Finance and Economics where he was the founder of the Rutgers Entrepreneurial Society.
- Key Lessons Learned: Self-Storage is a supply and demand business. There are many things you can fix about a self-storage facility but if the demand is not there, you will not be successful. It’s also hyper-localized and that demand depends very much on the lifestyles and demographics of the population in the market.
- How did they acquire their knowledge or what knowledge did they need to acquire? Learning to invest with other people’s money by starting small with friends and family.
- How much money did it take to get started? He started with about $100,000 from the sale of his education company.
- How much time does it take now? This is a full-time job.
- Could they do this strategy from anywhere in the world? At this time, given his role at Spartan Investment Group, probably not.
- Schedule a video chat with Neil Henderson at roadtofamilyfreedom.com/selfstoragecall
- How his parent’s first real estate investment led him to become a real estate investor himself.
- How he initially went about raising capital from friends and family
- What is the primary investment focus of Spartan Investment Group?
- How and Why Spartan Investment decided to target self-storage as their primary investment asset
- And much more…
Books and Resources Mentioned
- The Road to Family Freedom: roadtofamilyfreedom.com
- Best Ever Real Estate Conference 2021 (will be virtual)
- Spartan Investment Group
- Contact Ben
- If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests.
- For show notes and past guests, please visit roadtofamilyfreedom.com/episodes/
- Discover the tools and services we use, visit roadtofamilyfreedom.com/resources/