J Martin – Founder and Host of SF Bay Summit Real Estate Networking and Founder/Owner/Operator of JTM Real Estate Group, talks to Neil Henderson and Brittany Henderson, the hosts of The Road to Family Freedom podcast. J Martin talks about building a location-independent lifestyle, primarily using a portfolio of short-term rentals. J also discusses how he is able to travel year-round and operate his business, why he doesn’t use HOAs, how he manages communication, and how he funds his ventures.
- Key Lessons Learned: Systems are the things that make businesses successful. Ask yourself how you would run your business if you were out of the area.
- How did they acquire their knowledge or what knowledge did they need to acquire? He used BiggerPockets.com, networking, books, and meetups.
- How much money did it take to get started? $12,500 is what it took J Martin to get started. Subleasing requires a deposit and for furnishing, he spends about $7,000 for a one-bedroom, including the fee for people to do it.
- How much time does it take now? He spends 3-4 hours a week.
- Could they do this strategy from anywhere in the world? Yes, he can and he does.
What you’ll learn about in this episode
- J Martin talks about traveling 100% of the year.
- What was J Martin’s a-ha moment about getting into real estate?
- What was the first piece of real estate that J Martin bought?
- What were the numbers involved in J Martin’s first real estate venture?
- When did he get involved in short-term rentals?
- If you believe you can, you are right. If you believe you can’t, you are right.
- J talks about giving up a portion of his cash flow to pay back a loan to his partner.
- How many units is he subletting?
- Over ⅓ of hotel and AirBNB stays are over 30 days.
- J Martin stays away from HOAs.
- What are the typical sizes of his real estate purchases?
- How does J Martin go about furnishing?
- What does it cost on average per room?
- How does he manage the communication?
- Look carefully at your lease terms.
- How did J Martin find his VAs?
- What are some places J Martin has enjoyed traveling to?
- Are there any places J Martin would not go back to?
- How much time is he required to spend on this?
- When he was getting started with short-term rentals, what are the things he had to learn that made him successful?
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thank you so much! We really appreciate it!
Connect with Guest:
*FTC Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on the links, Road to Family Freedom will get a small commission. We are dedicated to finding the coolest products for families looking to building financial freedom through real estate and we never recommend anything that we don’t love.