Michael Zuber – the author of the book One Rental at a Time, talks to Neil Henderson and Brittany Henderson, the hosts of The Road to Family Freedom podcast. Michael talks to us about his journey, which started as being a full-time employee at 30 years old, working insane hours all over the world, and then growing his rental portfolio from a single house to currently about 175 doors. He talks about some of the hurdles many investors who work full-time encounter and the ways they can avoid them.
- Key Lessons Learned: Pay attention to the affordability index in whatever market you are investing in. Is your market affordable for the average person who lives there? Also, if you are a high earner with a good-paying job that takes a lot of your time, leverage other people’s time and experience rather than trying to add the additional work of managing, marketing, and finding deals.
- How did they acquire their knowledge or what knowledge did they need to acquire? He read a lot of books and he had to learn how to evaluate his chosen market.
- How much money did it take to get started? About $35,000 to purchase and rehab their first property.
- How much time does it take now? He spends a lot of time doing other things related to his real estate investment endeavors but most of the work is handled by property managers.
- Could they do this strategy from anywhere in the world? Mostly no. Michael Zuber’s strategy is predicated on choosing a nearby market that is within driving distance of where he lives and learning it well.
- Schedule a video chat with Neil Henderson at roadtofamilyfreedom.com/selfstoragecall
- How huge losses in the stock market led Michael to pursue an alternative wealth-building strategy with real estate
- How his days of working long hours and traveling led him to pursue building passive income sources to escape his W-2 job.
- How he chose Fresno, CA as his preferred market to begin investing in real estate
- Tips for finding and evaluating a potential property manager
- And much more…
Books and Resources Mentioned
- The Road to Family Freedom: roadtofamilyfreedom.com
- YouTube: One Rental at a Time
- One Rental at a Time by Michael Zuber
- 75 DAY HARD Challenge for Real Estate Investors
- Instagram: One Rental at a Time
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Tim Ferriss prediction about Second Hubs
- MGM Resorts reports $1 billion operating loss in Q2
- If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests.
- For show notes and past guests, please visit roadtofamilyfreedom.com/episodes/
- Discover the tools and services we use, visit roadtofamilyfreedom.com/resources/