Natalie Cloutier – Real Estate Investor from The New Build Couple talks to Neil Henderson and Brittany Henderson, the hosts of The Road to Family Freedom podcast. Natalie started her investing journey along with her husband when they were just 20 years old with zero dollars in the bank by building their own home from the ground up. They then used an 18-month interest-free credit card from Home Depot to build a basement apartment, got a HELOC, and kept going from there. They have acquired a total of 12 doors so far, with an additional eight that are currently under construction.
In this episode, we talk to Natalie about how they got started in real estate investing at such a young age, some of the lessons learned in those early days, how house hacking is real estate is investing with training wheels, and how they have scaled from one door to what will soon be 20 build and hold rental doors.
- Key Lessons Learned. The difference between development and in-fill building. With development, you’re dealing with raw land, getting in properly zoned and entitled, getting all of the services built out there, and having environmental impact studies done. With in-fill, the land is already ready to go, for the most part. Much less risk and a shorter time frame.
- How did they acquire their knowledge or what knowledge did they need to acquire? She grew up in a construction family and she and her husband went to school to become architects. She does the building design, and he does the cost estimations.
- How much money did it take to get started? It cost them about $8,000 of their own money to build their first house with a basement apartment.
- How much time does it take now? This is more than a full-time job for both her and her husband.
- Could they do this strategy from anywhere in the world? Right now, no. They are directly involved with the day to day operations, especially on the build side and they primarily stick to properties that are 15 minutes away.
- Schedule a video chat with Neil Henderson at roadtofamilyfreedom.com/storage
- How they got started in real estate investing at such a young age
- Some of the lessons learned in those early days
- How house hacking is real estate is investing with training wheels
- How they have scaled from one door to what will soon be 20 build and hold rental doors
- And much more…
Books and Resources Mentioned
- The Road to Family Freedom: roadtofamilyfreedom.com
- Website: The New Build Couple
- Instagram: @thenewbuildcouple
- If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests.
- For show notes and past guests, please visit roadtofamilyfreedom.com/episodes/
- Discover the tools and services we use, visit roadtofamilyfreedom.com/resources/