Chris Larsen, multifamily investor and the founder and managing partner of Next-Level Income, talks to Neil Henderson and Brittany Henderson, the hosts of The Road to Family Freedom podcast. Chris Larsen got his start in real estate investing with a house hack during college. He’s since grown into investing in large multifamily syndications. Chris talks about how he uses demographics to identify investment opportunities, and how he uses the infinite banking concept to build wealth.
- Key Lessons Learned: The same demographic trends with aging Baby Boomers that led to the growth of the medical devices industry are also driving the growth in multifamily, plus the Millenials.
- How did they acquire their knowledge or what knowledge did they need to acquire? He had to learn to analyze the data behind the demographics and he had to learn how to evaluate different multifamily operators.
- How much money did it take to get started? He purchased an owner-occupied home that he house hacked in college for $3,000 down.
- How much time does it take now? It depends on what stage of the process he is in. On average, he spends about 10 hours a week working on his syndication business, unless he’s in the middle of a capital raise, and then it’s a lot more.
- Could they do this strategy from anywhere in the world? It would take an adjustment but yes.
- Schedule a video chat with Neil Henderson at roadtofamilyfreedom.com/selfstoragecall
- Neil Henderson introduces Chris Larsen.
- Chris Larsen talks about his first investment property
- What were the costs that they paid for their first property?
- Any lessons learned from that first deal?
- The importance of considering Return on Equity in your real estate investing choices
- What led to his shift from residential real estate into commercial multifamily?
- How did he go about getting himself educated in multifamily syndication?
- The magic of accelerated depreciation and its effect on your returns and tax burden
- What are some red flags Chris looks for when he deciding whether to invest in a multifamily syndication?
- How do you go about vetting a multifamily operator you plan to invest with?
- Chris Larsen talks about the ways he makes use of the Infinite Banking system
- What is the key piece of knowledge you need to be successful as a multifamily syndicator?
- What does a day in the life of a multifamily syndicator look like?
- What markets is Chris Larsen investing in? Is he only investing locally?
- Is multifamily syndication the kind of strategy that you could do from anywhere in the world?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected your investment strategy?
- IS Chris seeing an affect on his tenants ability to pay rent given the disruption to everyday life from the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What predictions does Chris Larsen have for the multifamily space over the next 12 months?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected the medical devices space?
Books and Resources Mentioned: